Lebell's merchant house
The merchant house of the Lebell family, which is situated on Strandgatan, 100 metres from the market square, familiarises visitors with the life of a merchant’s family in Kristinestad in the 18th and 19th century. The building dates back to 1762 and has been acting as a museum since 1939. The interior of the house is truly authentic. The 17th century baroque hall is the only one of its kind in Finland, with original ceiling paintings and wallpaper, and probably the country’s oldest green tiled stove!
Carlsro museum, which is located on the shores of Lake Storträsket, 5 kilometres to the north of the city, acts as the Kristinestad city museum. The approximately 11,000 artefacts on display in the former three-storey luxury villa comprehensively represent the different historical phases of the region. An additional feature of magnificence is that the artefacts were collected by one man alone – Åke Weckström (1909-1989).
Kilen Local Museum
Kilen Local Museum, located approximately 30 kilometres to the south of the city centre, consists of several exhibitions, with themes ranging from school to telephone and ship building. The 30 buildings scattered around the museum grounds portray the architecture of the region. In the summer, the site serves as a venue for courses, parties and events. Private boats are welcome at the Kilen visitor mooring.
The Maritime Museum
The Maritime Museum is located by the market square, in the attic of an Empire style building, which used to house the sail-making department of the Wendelin shipping company. The museum portrays the challenges involved in the navigation of the olden days when ships left Kristinestad for destinations all over the world – and the tragedy of the many shipwrecks.
The museum captures something that used to be a breath of air from the ways and fashions of the big world – in the 19th century, it made Kristinestad the Paris of the western coast!
A café by the market square is home to a 1:8 miniature model of the barque Alma, a sailing ship that was built in Kristinestad in 1875. Seven thousand and five hundred hours were spent building the enormous ship. The finished result pays homage to the skill that enabled the building of magnificent ships that left Kristinestad via the shores of Tjärholmen in the past centuries.